These cookies have the texture of your typical sugar cookie, but with a lovely caramel flavor. Light and chewy, with the yummy caramel icing on top. I love the addition of chopped pecans in these, but if you’re not nuts for nuts…you can easily omit them. Loon Approved!
Caramel-Frosted Brown Sugar Cookies
FOR THE COOKIES
- 2 & 3/4 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 heaping 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened 2 sticks
- 1 & 1/3 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 & 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chopped pecans divided; optional
FOR THE CARAMEL FROSTING
- 7 tbsp unsalted butter cut into chunks
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 & 1/2 cups powdered sugar sifted after measuring
- 1 & 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
FOR THE COOKIES
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Grease several baking sheets, or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt: set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together the butter and brown sugar until well blended and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until evenly incorporated.
- Lightly beat in half of the flour mixture.
- Add the sour cream and beat until well blended.
- Stir in the remaining flour mixture and a generous 3/4 cup of the pecans (if using), until evenly incorporated.
- Using a heaping 1/8-cup measure, or a coffee scoop, drop the dough onto the baking sheet into evenly shaped mounds, spacing about 2 & 1/2 inches apart.
- Using a greased hand (or fingers), pat down the cookies until flattened on top.
- Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, in the upper third of the oven for 9 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned at the edges and barely firm when pressed in the centers.
- Reverse the sheet from front to back halfway through baking to ensure even browning.
- Transfer the sheet to a wire rack and let stand until the cookies firm up slightly,1 to 2 minutes.
- Using a spatula, carefully transfer the cookies to wire racks and let stand until cooled.
FOR THE FROSTING
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until it smells very fragrant and turns slightly golden, about 3 - 4 minutes; watch carefully!
- Stir in the brown sugar and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
- Stir in 2 & 1/2 tablespoons hot water and the corn syrup until the mixture is well blended and the sugar dissolves.
- Vigorously stir in the powdered sugar and vanilla until well blended and completely smooth.
- Set the frosting aside, stirring occasionally, until it cools and stiffens just enough to spread, about 2 minutes.
- Using a spatula, or spreader, or table knife, generously swirl the cookie tops with the frosting.
- If using, add a few chopped pecans on top of the frosted cookie, doing this for each cookie as you go...the frosting will begin to set.
- (If the frosting stiffens too much, stir in just enough hot water to make it spreadable).
- Store in a single layer, or layered with was paper in an airtight container.