This Roasted Chipotle Chicken is so deep in flavor. I’m always playing around with ways to roast chicken and The Loon and I just love the smoky flavor of chipotles in adobo sauce. This has just enough heat to make it feel good, but not enough to hurt. So delicious in so many ways! 100% Loon Approved.
Roasted Chipotle Chicken
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 large lgarlic cloves thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 cup quality ketchup or, chili sauce for more heat
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chipotle chiles in adobo from 7 oz can, chopped
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Kosher salt & fresh ground black pepper
- 6 lbs chicken parts legs, thighs, wings, breasts
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook garlic, stirring frequently, until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer with slotted spoon to paper towel-lined plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook onions, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic and remaining ingredients, except chicken, to skillet with 1 teaspoon salt. and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 25 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 F with rack in the middle.
- Coast chicken with half of sauce, then roast, skin side up, in a large baking dish or pan for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush with remaining sauce, then continue roasting until chicken is cooked through and well browned in spots, 25 minutes more, or until internal temperature of largest piece reaches 165 F. (you may need to remove the smaller pieces first, and then roast the large pieces for a little longer).