Wow, oh wow. This Instant Pot Smothered Pork Chops recipe is as good as they come. I started playing around with this recipe a few weeks ago, and before we knew it, we had one of the most satisfying dishes we’ve had in quite a while. Well, we eat pretty well around here. But…this ranks up pretty high on the Loon Scale.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS
Be sure to get a nice boneless pork loin chop, good and thick. If you go anywhere from 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches, you’ll be in really good shape. Slice the onions nice and thin, and everything else comes together super easy.
I think the Madeira wine brings such a depth of flavor, but in a pinch, you could use a dry white wine, and still get great results.
The great thing about cooking these in the Instant Pot is they get perfectly cooked, and stay wonderfully tender, after only 1 minute of pressure cooking.
And just wait until you try the sauce!
It really is all about that amazing sauce to pour over those juicy, tender chops! Whip up a batch of butter mashed potatoes and we promise you’ll have a meal fit for a king and a queen.
THE PERFECT WEEKNIGHT DINNER
The Loon, as he has been known to proclaim from time to time, honestly said this is one of his most favorite dishes from the past few months.
Since I am constantly trying new recipes on him practically every single day, that’s really saying something. And this is an easy recipe to pull together, even on a busy weeknight, but, also really impressive to serve to guests.
No one will be disappointed!
Now, the time has come for you to make this incredible Instant Pot Smothered Pork Chops recipe!
And when you make this amazing dish, take a photograph, post it on Instagram, and tag @howtofeedaloon and hashtag #howtofeedaloon!
Instant Pot Smothered Pork Chops
- 4 boneless pork loin chops 1 1/2 - 2 inches thick
- 1½ tsp Kosher salt divided
- 1½ tsp freshly ground black pepper divided
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 8 oz. button or cremini mushrooms sliced
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ cup Madeira wine could also use a dry white wine,
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp chives snipped, for garnish
- Season the chops all over with salt and pepper.
- Select SAUTE and adjust to MORE on the Instant Pot.
- Add the oil and heat until it shimmers.
- Add the chops and let them cook on one side until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Flip the chops and brown on the other side for another 4 minutes.
- Transfer the chops to a plate and loosely tent with foil.
- Add the onion to the Instant Pot, stirring frequently, until softened and lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and the thyme, and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are soft and have released liquid, about 4 minutes.
- Add the wine and deglaze by scraping the bottom of the pan to release any browned bits.
- Let the wine simmer until reduced by half, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, and flour.
- Add to the Instant Pot and stir to combine with the onions and mushrooms.
- Transfer the chops to the Instant Pot and spoon some of the onion mixture over them.
- Lock the lid into place and select MEAT/STEW or PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL, and adjust the pressure to LOW and the time to 1 minute.
- After cooking, naturally release the pressure for 3 minutes, then QUICK RELEASE any remaining pressure. Unlock and remove the lid.
- Transfer the chops to a serving platter.
- Add the sour cream to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Taste and add more salt and/or pepper, if necessary.
- Spoon the sauce over the chops and sprinkle the chopped chives on top.