This Best-Ever Turkey Chili just makes you feel good. The Loon and I always say it really warms our cockles. Yes, it’s that’s good. It’s so comforting. So deep in flavor and just amazing. Let this simmer for a couple hours on the stove, or slow cook in your slow-cooker. Your house will smell so good, and then when you have your first bowl…oh boy. Whip up a batch of Cowboy Cornbread, and you’ll be in Heaven. So good. And healthy, too!
The Best-Ever Turkey Chili
- 2 lbs 85% lean ground turkey
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika plus salt and pepper, to taste.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers cored and chopped
- 2 green red peppers cored and chopped
- 1 large yellow onions chopped
- 4 jalapenos 1 cored, seeded, and diced...use the other 3 for cooking in the chili
- 1 small can of green chopped chilies
- 2 28 oz cans of whole tomatoes San Marzano are great
- 1 1/2 cups beef or chicken stock
- 1 14.5 oz can tomato paste
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp hot sauce ie, Tobasco or Crystals
- 3 to 4 tbsp good quality chili powder
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Adobo seasoning
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper or more, to taste
- Grated cheddar cheese for garnish (optional)
- Finely chopped onion for garnish (optional)
- Dollop of sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot, preferably a Dutch oven
- Add the peppers and onion
- Saute until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the ground turkey in a large skillet
- Add 1 tablespoon of the paprika, and a few pinches salt and pepper.
- Drain in colander once cooked.
- Add the turkey to the cooked veggies.
- Meanwhile, pulse the whole tomatoes in a food processor.
- Add the chopped chilies.
- Add the tomatoes plus juice to the turkey/veggie mixture.
- Add the stock.
- Add the tomato paste.
- Add the vinegar, hot sauce, chili powder, cumin, Adobo, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne, plus the remaining tablespoon of smoked paprika
- Let simmer for about 2 hours over low-medium heat...stirring occasionally.
- Serve with cheese, onions and sour cream (if desired).