We love chili, and this Vegetable & Black Bean Chili is so perfectly heart-warming and delicious. And…it’s meatless and super healthy to boot! Really, this chili is wonderful. I love to use it when I make Piled High Chili Nachos! 100% Loon Approved!
Vegetable and Black Bean Chili
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 2 zucchini green squash, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 1 carrot cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 jalapeno seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp good quality chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes I love San Marzano
- 2 15.5 oz black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1 tbsp hot pepper sauce ie, Tobasco, Louisiana
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Monterey jack cheese and scallions for garnish optional
Heat the oil in a large sauce pan, or pot (a Dutch oven is nice) or medium heat.
Add the onion, bell pepper, zucchini, celery, celery, carrot, jalapeno and garlic and cover.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are softened, about 10 minutes.
Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne and stir well.
Add the vegetable stock.
Add the tomatoes, breaking them apart with your fingers as you drop them into the pot. Add their juices and bring to a simmer.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 20 minutes.
Stir in the beans and corn and cook until they are heated through, about 10 more minutes.
Mix in the hot sauce.
Stir in the cilantro.
Season with salt and pepper.
Taste and adjust seasonings.
Serve with Monterey jack cheese and scallions sprinkled on top.