We love chili, and this Vegetable & Black Bean Chili is so perfectly heart-warming and delicious. And…it’s meatless and super healthy to boot! Really, this chili is wonderful. I love to use it when I make Piled High Chili Nachos! 100% Loon Approved!
Vegetable and Black Bean Chili
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 2 zucchini green squash, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 1 carrot cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 jalapeno seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp good quality chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes I love San Marzano
- 2 15.5 oz black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1 tbsp hot pepper sauce ie, Tobasco, Louisiana
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Monterey jack cheese and scallions for garnish optional
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan, or pot (a Dutch oven is nice) or medium heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, zucchini, celery, celery, carrot, jalapeno and garlic and cover.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne and stir well.
- Add the vegetable stock.
- Add the tomatoes, breaking them apart with your fingers as you drop them into the pot. Add their juices and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and corn and cook until they are heated through, about 10 more minutes.
- Mix in the hot sauce.
- Stir in the cilantro.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve with Monterey jack cheese and scallions sprinkled on top.