This tomato, cheddar and bacon pie is a must when tomatoes are at their peak. Heirlooms are the ideal pick here. Even when they’re out of season, canned San Marzano tomatoes will do, but you MUST do this in Summer, when tomatoes are at their best. Of course, making the pie crust from scratch is best, but even good quality store bought works wonderfully here, too! O.M.G. …this is one of our all-time favorites!
Tomato, Cheddar and Bacon Pie
- 12 ounces of thick sliced bacon sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes preferably heirloom, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pre-baked pie crust bake for about 20 minutes at 350 F in a 9 inch pie dish
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 small yellow onion thinly sliced
- 5 ounces Cheddar cheese grated
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp, set aside to cool on paper towels.
- Pre-heat overn to 380 F.
- Place a layer of tomato slices on the bottom of the pre-cooked crust and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with a layer of onion slices and cheese.
- Repeat this process.
- Place the bacon over the top layer of onion and cheese.
- Place in pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack and allow to cool slightly.
- Slip out of pie pan.