Like just about everything, when you make something from scratch, with quality, fresh ingredients, you’ll always end up with a better product than something you’d pick up at the grocery store.
This recipe is certainly no exception. Easily double this recipe, keep for up to a week, or freeze what you don’t use for later use. Really great. Serve warm or at room temperature. And on ice cream? Forget about it!
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE SAUCE
As we said previously, homemade is almost always going to be better. You know exactly what’s going into your chocolate sauce, and that’s a good thing!
We love all kinds of chocolate, that’s for sure, but for this sauce, we’re going with unsweetened dark chocolate.
EXPERT TIP: We use our trusty double-broiler to melt the butter and the chocolate together. If you don’t have a double-broiler, no worries! Simply bring a pot of water to a simmer, and then use oven mits to hold a metal bowl filled with the butter and chocolate over the simmering water. Use a wooden spoon to stir until completely melted.
REACHING THE RIGHT CONSISTANCY
Next, you’ll need to combine the cocoa and sugar with the cream in a separate bowl.
Use a whisk, or a wooden spoon, to stir and fully combine and the sugar and cocoa have completely dissolved.
The smell, already, is pure chocolate. So good!
Next, it’s to combine the two mixtures. Simply pour the chocolate paste into the melted butter/chocolate mixture and stir.
You are almost ready to have perfectly prepared Homemade Chocolate Sauce.
Cook over simmering water for another 5 minutes, and you are all set! You can serve warm or room temperature.
Did we mention how great it is on our homemade S’mores Ice Cream? Just look at that!
Ready to make the best chocolate sauce since Willy Wonka closed up shop? Go for it!
And when you do, be sure to take a photo, post it to Instagram, and tag @howtofeedaloon and hashtag #howtofeedaloon!
Homemade Chocolate Sauce
- Double-broiler, or pot of simmering water with another metal pot
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder Hershey's is good
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Melt butter and chocolate together in a double boiler, or in a large metal bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
- Combine the sugar and cocoa in another bowl and then stir in the heavy cream, mixing until a thick paste forms.
- Stir the chocolate paste into the melted chocolate and butter.
- Cook the mixture over simmering water for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the vanilla.
- Serve warm or room temperature.