Like just about everything, when you make something from scratch, with quality, fresh ingredients, you’ll always end up with a better product than something you’d pick up at the grocery store. This Homemade Chocolate Sauce is certainly no exception. Easily double this recipe, keep for up to a week, or freeze what you don’t use for later use. Really great. Serve warm or at room temperature. And on ice cream? Forget about it!
Homemade Chocolate Sauce
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder Hershey's is good
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Melt butter and chocolate together in a double boiler, or in a large metal bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
- Combine the sugar and cocoa in another bowl and then stir in the heavy cream, mixing until a thick paste forms.
- Stir the chocolate paste into the melted chocolate and butter.
- Cook the mixture over simmering water for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the vanilla.
- Serve warm or room temperature.