Cranberry Bread Pudding with Orange Sauce is just so delicious and perfect for serving guest.
The recipe is deeply flavorful, but also quite simple to prepare. We love that the orange custard sauce can be made in advance. So good!
HOW TO MAKE CRANBERRY BREAD PUDDING WITH ORANGE SAUCE
All you need are some basic ingredients to make this delicious bread pudding at home. We love all types of bread pudding, from sweet to savory.
For this cranberry bread pudding, all you need is some good sliced bread, oranges, cranberries and a few other pantry ingredients.
We like to start with good quality sliced white bread that we cut into strips, and then cubed. Sourdough is great, but if you’re feeling really adventurous…why not make our Homemade Country White Bread…it’s so good and surprisingly easy to make!
ORANGE ZEST ADDS MORE FLAVOR
There is a ton of citrus flavor in the skin of fruit such as lemon, limes, or oranges.
It adds not only depth of flavor, but nice texture.
OUR HISTORY OF CRANBERRY BREAD PUDDING
My mom is an amazing cook and every time we go back home, she always has one or two new dishes she surprises us with. Of course, these along with her other incredible arsenal of recipes This Cranberry Bread Pudding with Orange Sauce was a dessert she made last time we were home, and I just had to get the recipe from her and share it!
So incredibly delicious, and the orange custard sauce sends it over the top.
Pour the liquid right over the bread, cranberries and zest, and then let is soak up all the delicious goodness.
And did we mention how delicious the organic sauce is?
It’s worth repeating. It is so delicious.
The Loon always tells me my mom gives me a run for my money when it comes to cooking. I smile, I nod…and I have to agree with him.
Try this dish…you’ll LOVE it. 100% Loon (and Kris) Approved!
Cranberry Bread Pudding with Orange Sauce
- 16 slices bread crusts removed, cubed (I love sourdough)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries thawed (I used frozen, and they were great)
- 1 tbsp grated orange peel or zest
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup, plus 1 tbsp sugar divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
FOR THE ORANGE CUSTARD SAUCE
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 orange peel strip 1/4"
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- In a greased 13" x 9" baking dish, layer half of the bread cubes, cranberries and orange zest. Repeat layers and then drizzle the butter over the top.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, 3/4 cup sugar and vanilla until blended; pour over bread mixture.
- Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake, uncovered at 360 F for 1 hour, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
MAKE THE SAUCE
- In a medium-sized saucepan, whisk egg yolks and sugar.
- Stir in cream and orange peel.
- Cook over low heat about 15 to 20 minutes or until mixture is just thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, stirring constantly, but gently. Do not allow to boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in extract.
- Pour over bread pudding slices.