Bourbon Maple BBQ Chicken Wings are nearly beyond description. They’re that good.
Get a good quality bourbon, pure maple syrup, and whole chicken wings, and then get ready to fire up your grill. These are always a show-stopper every time we serve them. Be sure to make the Perfect BBQ Rub!
HOW TO MAKE BOURBON MAPLE BBQ CHICKEN WINGS
Once you’ve secured a good bottle of bourbon, pour yourself a nice little drink, and let’s get started.
First, make the Perfect BBQ Rub. This is so delicious and really helps to put these wings over the top.
This will make enough that you can use again for multiple recipes, just like our Cowboy Ribeye Steak!
THE BBQ SAUCE IS HEAVENLY
Now that you’ve got the rub out of the way, it may be time to pour another drink, maybe not, but it’s definitely time to make the amazing sauce for the Bourbon Maple BBQ Chicken Wings!
We like to grate an onion on a box grater. You can go with chopped, but we like the texture of the grated.
Next, we’re going to add the bourbon, maple syrup and some Worcestershire syrup.
Simmer until just thickened. Oh, the smell!! Amazing! It’s about now you’ll want to go and fire up your grill to a nice medium-high heat.
EXPERT TIP: Both the rub and the sauce can be made in advance. The rub will stay for weeks in an airtight container and the sauce will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
GRILL THE WINGS OVER DIRECT HEAT
You’re now ready to baste the wings. We like to use wings that have not had the tip removed, which is typical for standard buffalo wings. But, you can certainly use those “party wings,” too.
You’ll coat the wings with the apple cider vinegar and then toss in the rub.
Grill the wings over direct heat until cooked through, about 5 minute per side. Then slather some of the sauce and continue grilling until starting to char.
EXPERT TIP: Be sure to set some of the sauce off to the side prior to basting. You’ll want some for extra sauce once you serve the wings!
These Bourbon Maple BBQ Chicken Wings are off-the-hook amazing.
You will not believe how delicious these babies are. Wow, oh wow…so good. Perfect for a summer BBQ, or anytime, for that matter!
Bourbon Maple BBQ Chicken Wings
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup grated onion use medium holes on a box cutter
- 1/2 cup bourbon whiskey
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
MAKE THE BBQ SAUCE
- Heat a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the butter to melt.
- Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the bourbon, syrup, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, salt and pepper, and stir to incorporate.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and reserve.
MAKE THE WINGS
- Fire up your grill to medium-high heat.
- Add the wings, oil , vinegar and rub in a large freezer bag, seal, and toss until the wings are completely coated.
- Once grill is ready, add wings to the grill.
- Cook on each side until slightly charred, about 5 minutes per side.
- Slather on the BBQ sauce, and cook for another 2 minutes each per side.
- Remove and serve with remaining BBQ sauce and homemade blue cheese dressing!