This is a staple…especially for amazing Italian dishes. I make a big batch, and freeze in separate containers.Recipe ½ cup of unsalted butter 1 rib of celery, cut into 1 inch pieces ½ yellow onion, peeled and chopped ½ carrot, peeled and chopped A few sprigs of fresh thyme 5 cups of beef stock ½ cup of all-purpose flour Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add celery, onion, carrots, and thyme and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes or until tender and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium-high heat, bring the beef stock to a boil
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir them continuously for about 5 or 6 minutes, or until flour was absorbed.
- Add 3 cups of the hot stock to the flour mixture and whisk until combined. Add the rest of the stock and whisk it well. Reduce the heat to low and gently simmer it for 1 hour, skimming off any fat from the surface and make sure the liquid does not boil.
- Strain the sauce through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.