I’m kind of nut for lemons. And I guess I have forced my lemon love onto the Loon possibly more than he would have guessed. But now…he’s as much as Lemon Loon as I am. Wait a minute…Lemon Loon? Loon Lemon? Loon Loves Lemons! Lord! Well, these little gems are divine.
Lovely Lemon Bars
These lovely lemon bars are just that...lovely. Well, however you want to refer to them...they are a bit decadent...and very, very tasty.
FOR THE CRUST
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter 2 sticks, room temp
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp Kosher salt
FOR THE FILLING
- 6 extra-large eggs room temp
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp grated lemon zest about 4 lemons
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
MAKE THE CRUST
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
Cream the butter and sugar until light in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Combine the flour and salt.
- Add the flour/salt mixture, slowly, to the butter (with mixer on low) until just mixed.
- Place the dough onto a well-floured board and gather into a ball.
- Place the ball in a 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking dish, and begin flattening the dough with your fingers.
- Build the dough up along the sides by about 1/2 inch.
- Chill (the dough, not you...well, you can chill, too...but come back soon).
- Bake the crust for 20 minutes, until very lightly browned.
- Let cool on a wire rack and leave the oven on.
FOR THE FILLING
Whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour.
- Pour over the crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the filling is nice and set.
- Let cool to room temp.
- Cut into squares, and then triangles (if you like...I do)...and dust with confectioner's sugar.