We are just crazy about lemons. This little fruit is so versatile and brightens dishes, both savory and sweet.
These sweet treats are the epitome of what’s good about lemons. Bright, vibrant, and so deeply flavorful. And they come together in about 30 to 40 minutes!
HOW TO MAKE LEMON BARS AT HOME
These delicious sweet treats are not difficult to make at all. They taste like they took hours, but in fact, they take less than 1 hour to prepare!
The ingredients are fresh and simple.
We love the use of fresh lemon zest in the bars. Lemon zest is loaded with nutrition and is delicious, too!
THE CRUST CAN BE MADE IN ADVANCE
These Lovely Lemon Bars start with a wonderful crust. And here’s the great thing…the crust can be made up to 1 day in advance.
We love the crunch of the crust matched against the luxurious filling of the lemon topping.
Everything about this treat is spectacular and so comforting.
Of course, adding a little more sweetness to at the very end is an added bonus.
We like sprinkle confectioner’s sugar, also known as powdered sugar, just for a little more punch of yumminess.
If you like these, you’ll also love our Incredible Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake!
Ready to make the best lemon bars in town? Go for it!
And when you do, be sure to take a picture, post it on Instagram, and tag @howtofeedaloon and hashtag #howtofeedaloon!
Lovely Lemon Bars
FOR THE CRUST
- ½ lb unsalted butter 2 sticks, room temp
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp Kosher salt
FOR THE FILLING
- 6 large eggs room temp
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp grated lemon zest about 4 lemons
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Confectioners' sugar for dusting
MAKE THE CRUST
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Combine the flour and salt.
- Add the flour/salt mixture, slowly, to the butter (with mixer on low) until just mixed.
- Place the dough onto a well-floured board and gather into a ball.
- Place the ball in a 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking dish, and begin flattening the dough with your fingers.
- Build the dough up along the sides by about 1/2 inch.
- Chill (the dough, not you...well, you can chill, too...but come back soon).
- Bake the crust for 20 minutes, until very lightly browned.
- Let cool on a wire rack and leave the oven on.
FOR THE FILLING
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour.
- Pour over the crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the filling is nice and set.
- Let cool to room temp.
- Cut into squares, and then triangles (if you like...I do)...and dust with confectioner's sugar.