Gold Yukon whipped potatoes with white cheddar and chives are the perfect side to a good hearty entree, like roasted brisket or chicken with lemon, garlic and white wine. Use a rice ricer to get really smooth, or keep it a little chunky with just a good constant wooden spoon smash…or whip nicely with a hand mixer. You just can’t go wrong with this dish. Mmmmm…
Yukon Whipped Potatoes with White Cheddar and Chives
- 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes washed, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tsp salt for the boiling water then another teaspoon (or more, to taste) for the potatoes
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter 8 tbsp, cut into chunks
- 3/4 cup half and half heated
- 1 tbsp white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- Fill a large pot 3/4 of the way with water and add the teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil
- Add the potatoes, and cook until tender (pierce with a knife)...about 18 minutes.
- Drain well in a colander.
- Press the potatoes through a ricer, or skip to the next step...
- Add the potatoes to a large bowl.
- Add the butter and slowly add the warm half-and-half, stirring constantly with a large spoon.
- Continue to add the liquid and stir until the potatoes are creamy, but not soupy.
- Add the white cheddar and chives.
- Add salt and white pepper (about a teaspoon of each)
- Transfer to a serving dish.
- Add a slice of butter to the top, garnish with a few more chopped chives.