Panzanella (Tomato and Bread Salad)
Servings: 6 people
Panzanella (Tomato and Bread Salad) is the perfect salad for peak-season tomatoes. Go with a day-old country bread, or, just stick it in a low-grade temperature oven for about 15 minutes to dry it out. Let all the ingredients sit together for about an hour before tossing...and the result is yummy Italian salad perfection!
- 2 large tomatoes cored, and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 small cucumber peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded (with a spoon / optional), and sliced
- 1 small red onion chopped, or thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil chopped, plus a couple leaves for garnish
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil more to taste
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar more to taste
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bread Italian loaf, or country white
In a large mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and basil.
Drizzle with the 1/2 cup olive oil and the 3 tablespoons vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
Gently toss to coat evenly.
Cut or tear the bread into bite-sized pieces and place half of the bread in a wide shallow bowl or dish.
Spoon on half of the tomato mixture and layer the remaining bread on top and then the remaining tomato mixture.
Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
Toss the salad, then taste and adjust the seasonings with salt, pepper, and vinegar.
If the bread is dry, add a little more olive oil.
Garnish with a few basil leaves before serving.
Calories: 148kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 30mg | Potassium: 227mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 735IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 1mg