Classic Shrimp and Okra Gumbo
Servings: 8 people
This Classic Shrimp and Okra Gumbo relies on several key features: a dark roux, a really good shrimp stock, file, and Crystals Louisiana hot sauce. I've been making this gumbo for a long time, and it is a household favorite without a doubt. A NOLA classic in your own kitchen!! So good!
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ lbs okra sliced 1/4" thick
- 2 large yellow onions chopped
- 1½ large green bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 4 quarts Shrimp / Crab Stock click for full recipe
- ⅔ cup Crystal Hot Sauce
- ⅔ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp Creole/Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes drained and roughly chopped (I use my hands to crush them as I drop them into the pot)
- 1 tbsp filé powder
- 2 lbs shrimp medium, peeled and deveined
- cooked rice
- Scallions sliced, for garnish
In a large pot (preferably Dutch oven), heat oil over medium-high heat and slowly whisk in flour. Cook and whisking constantly until a brown roux forms, about 20 to 30 minutes.
Carefully add okra, onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add stock, hot sauce, Worcestershire, Creole/Cajun seasoning, salt, cayenne, bay leaves, tomatoes and file and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
Add the shrimp in the final 10 minutes.
Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
Serve with hot cooked rice and garnish with scallions.
Calories: 329kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 286mg | Sodium: 1426mg | Potassium: 896mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1283IU | Vitamin C: 69mg | Calcium: 333mg | Iron: 6mg