Mushrooms Stuffed with Italian Sausage and Peppers
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Servings: 6 people
These baked mushrooms stuffed with Italian sausage and peppers are exploding with flavor. Perfect for a party or an appetizer for your next Italian dinner party.
- 16 large white mushrooms
- 1/4 cup good olive oil plus a little more for drizzling
- 3 Italian sausage links casing removed (hot, sweet, or combo of both)
- 1 green bell pepper stem, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Italian breadcrumbs 6 slices of white bread, 1/4 cup Romano cheese, 1/2 cup of chopped parsley, 2 cloves of chopped garlic...pulse in food processor
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup diced pickled hot cherry tomatoes adjust amount to taste
Wipe the mushrooms clean and remove the stems. Set aside the 12 largest caps.
Finely chop the remaining mushrooms and stems (you can do this in the food processor). Set aside.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
When the oil is hot, add the sausage. Cook for about 5 minutes...breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
Add the green peppers, garlic and chopped mushrooms. Cook for another 10 minutes, until most of the moisture from the mushrooms have evaporated.
Add the bread crumbs and chicken stock.
Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the cheese and the cherry peppers.
Spread the mixture onto a platter and then place in the fridge to cool.
Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
Stuff each of the mushroom caps with the sausage and pepper mixture and place in a large roasting or casserole dish.
Drizzle the stuffed mushrooms with olive oil.
Bake for 35 minutes...or until nicely browned on top, and the mushrooms are soft.
Transfer the mushrooms to a platter and and spoon the remaining pan juices over the top.
Garnish with finely chopped parsley.