Shrimp / Crab Stock
This Shrimp / Crab Stock can be made with just shrimp, if you can find whole shrimp (heads still on). If you can, cook the shrimp, pull out the meat, and use the shells and the heads for the stock. If you can't find shrimp with the heads on, just use shrimp shells (cook the shrimp separately) and get yourself some Gulf blue crab. Most well-stocked seafood markets will sell the frozen variety (if you don't have access to fresh), or you can easily order them online. This stock makes all the difference in the world when fish stock is called for.
- 1/2 lb shrimp shells and heads 1/2 lb of shells and heads only...body of the shrimp should be removed before weighing
- 16 oz. whole blue crab optional
- 1 gallon water
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 yellow onion coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves smashed (I use my garlic press)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon thyme chopped (can use 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Rinse shrimp shells and heads and whole crabs under cold water.
In large stock pot, combine all ingredients, and bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, skimming occasionally.
Remove stock from heat, and strain through a fine-mesh sieve.