Pappardelle with Seasonal Vegetables
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 4 people
This Pappardelle with Seasonal Vegetables is so vibrant and so fresh! Really healthy and perfect to make when vegetables from the farm are young and bursting with flavor.
- 1/2 lb fresh pappardelle pasta can use linguine*
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 bunch medium asparagus ends trimmed
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 cup spring onions aka Cipolline (can use small shallots)
- 1/2 cup shelled sugar snap peas
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh marjoram chopped
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Pea shoots or watercress for garnish
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese optional, for garnish
- *Available at specialty food stores ie, Whole Foods, Italian markets, or make your own
In a small pan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add the onions...simmer for 3 minutes.
Remove the onions with a slotted spoon. Cut off the root end, and squeeze the onion out of the skin. Set aside.
In a large skillet, bring the stock, garlic, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper to a simmer over medium-high heat.
Add the asparagus, carrots, onions and peas and simmer until just tender, about 4 minutes.
Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon, or use a colander (don't discard the liquid)
Raise the heat to high and cook the liquid down to about 1 cup, about 4 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a pot of salted boiling water until al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain.
Add the cooked pasta, vegetables, herbs, butter and zest to the stock. Gently stir for 1 minute, or until butter is melted and pasted is coated.
Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve in plates garnished with pea shoots and topped with Parmigiano-Reggiano shavings (if using).