Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Servings: 8 people
This Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe is the ultimate in comfort soup. Veggies, stock and cheddar...doesn't get much better than that! So good!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 leek white and pale green parts, sliced
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 celery rib chopped
- 1 garlic clove roughly chopped
- 1 approx 1 bl head broccoli stems peeled and chopped, tops cut into florets (save some florets for steaming or blanching for garnish)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black peper
In a large pot, preferably a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the butter and stir until melted.
Add the leek, carrot, celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until they are tender, about 8 minutes.
Stir in the broccoli.
Sprinkle the broccoli mixture with the flour and mix well.
Stir in the stock and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, with the lid on, but ajar, until the broccoli is very tender, about 20 minutes. Remove form the heat.
In a couple batches, purée the soup in a blender with the lid ajar. (Alternatevily, use a hand-held blender directly in the pot).
Add the soup back into the pot and simmer over medium-low heat.
A handful at a time, add the Cheddar cheese to the soup, and let it melt.
Season with salt and pepper.
Serve piping hot topped with a few blanched florets! And enjoy!