Southern Shrimp and Cheesy Grits
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 people
Shrimp & Cheesy Grits is decadent...pure Southern decadence. But every now and then, it's sinfully good to be a little decadent. This dish is a flavor explosion you just have to taste to believe. Incredible!
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- 1 cup corn grits quick or regular...not instant
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 slices slab bacon cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces
- 1 lb shelled and deveined large shrimp
- Black pepper
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves minced (should be a heaping teaspoon)
- 3 tbsp flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 4 scallions white and green parts, chopped (3 for cooking, 1 for garnish)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 or 3 good shakes of hot sauce ie, Tabasco
- 4 tsp fresh lemon juice usually the juice of 1 whole lemon
In a medium saucepan, bring the stock to a boil.
Whisk in the grits and cook over moderately high heat, stirring vigorously at first to eliminate lumps (Continue to stir periodically until thickened and the grains are tender- about 4 - 5 minutes total. If using regular grits, they will take up to 45 minutes)
Add the cream, butter and cheese and gently stir. Cover and remove from heat.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crispy.
Transfer cooked bacon to paper towel-lined plate.
Pour out all but about 4 tablespoons of bacon fat in the skillet and re-heat.
Sprinkle black pepper all over the shrimp and then add to the hot skillet and cook until curled and pink, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the garlic, parsley, scallions, paprika, Worcestershire, Tabasco and lemon juice.
Meanwhile, crumble the bacon into slightly smaller pieces, set aside.
Spoon the warm, cheesy grits into 4 shallow serving bowls and top each with a quarter of the shrimp mixture.
Garnish with bacon and reserved scallions. Serve at once!