This dish of Wild Rice with Cherries and Pecans is bursting with amazing flavor. Wild rice is nutritious and yet so tasty. Combined with sauteed red onion, celery and garlic. Throw in some dried cherries and toasted pecans…and you’ve got an amazing side dish on your hands. And, it’s gluten free! And crazy delicious!
Another amazing wild recipe is our: Wild Rice, Kale and Fontina Casserole!
Wild Rice with Cherries and Pecans
- 2 cups wild rice rinsed under cold water until water runs clear and drained.
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 5 celery stalks cut into 1/4" pieces, plus 1/4 cup of leaves, for garnish
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/3 cup toasted pecans roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley chopped, plus another 1/4 cup for garnish
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon
- Bring 12 cups water to a boil in a large pot.
- Stir in rice and return to a boil, cook, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Strain rice in a fine-mesh sieve, let drain for about 15 seconds, then return to the pan.
- Cover and let rice steam, off heat, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Melt the butter, and then add the celery, garlic, and onion...cook for about 12 minutes.
- Add stock and cherries, simmer until liquid is evaporated, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in reserved rice, the chopped parsley, thyme, salt (1/2 teaspoon), pepper (1/2 teaspoon).
- Taste and add more salt, if necessary.
- Transfer to a serving platter.
- Grate lemon zest over the top.
- Garnish with celery leaves and parsley.