Sweet Potato & Quinoa Cakes On a Citrus Kale Salad
This is super delicious, and is really good for you, too. Kale, sweet potato and quinoa in one dish....Sweet Potato & Quinoa Cakes On a Citrus Kale Salad...YES!
Author: Adapted from Catherine Ruehle
Recipe type: Healthy
- 2 cups of washed, kale...cut into bite-sized pieces
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of aged balsamic vinegar
- For the salad: Pinch of Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 medium sweet potato
- ¼ cup of finely diced red onion
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup of cooked quinoa
- ½ cup of all purpose flour (use gluten free flour, if desired...such as [url href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ED7M3Q/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000ED7M3Q&linkCode=as2&tag=hotofealo-20">Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Baking Flour, 22-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped roasted red pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F
- Stab the sweet potato 3 times with a fork, rub a little olive oil all over the spud
- Place the sweet potato in the oven, directly on the rack, for 1 hour
- Remove the spud and let cool then peel off the skin
- Place the potato in a medium bowl. With the back of the fork, smash the spud.
- Add the red onion, salt, pepper, garlic, quinoa, flour and fresh herbs.
- Stir until completely combined
- Using your hands, form four equally sized patties.
- Heat a non-skillet over medium heat...add the olive oil
- Add cakes and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes per side, flipping carefully (you may need to use 2 spatulas)
- Remove to plate with paper towels
- Meanwhile, place the kale in a bowl and then add the lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper.
- Massage the kale for about 2 minutes until it becomes softened.
- Place the kale salad on serving dish.
- Place the potato cakes on top of the salad
- Garnish with shopped roasted red pepper