I mean, come on…you can’t go wrong with Homemade Sweet Corn and Pistachio Ice Cream. Especially in the summer months when sweet corn is at its sweetest. The incredible flavor of corn, matched against the salty crunch of the pistachio. Oh, so, so good! Let me say it again…Sweet Corn and Pistachio Ice Cream. Yes!! When fresh corn is not available, you can go with creamed corn (about two 13.5 oz cans). Oh yes, this one is 100% Loon Approved.
Sweet Corn and Pistachio Ice Cream
- 4 fresh ears of corn shucked
- 1 & 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup, plus 1 tbs sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup pistachios shelled
- Use a large knife to cut the kernels from the corn cobs. Place in a large pot, or Dutch oven.
- Break the corn cobs in half and add to the pot, along with the milk, cream and 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour to infuse the flavors. Then, discard the cobs.
- Puree the kernel mixture in a blender.
- Add back to a saute pan and bring to a simmer, then turn off heat
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Add a cup of the hot cream mixture to the yolks, stirring constantly.
- Add yolk mixture to saucepan, stirring. Cook over medium-low heat, continuing to stir constantly, until custard coats the back of a spoon - about 10 minutes.
- Pass custard through a fine sieve, pressing the solids. Discard solids.
- Whisk in sour cream until smooth.
- Let custard cool in an ice bath, then cover and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Freeze corn mixture in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
- Add the pistachios 5 minute before the churning is to finish.
- Place in freezer-proof container, and freeze for 1 to 2 hours, or overnight.