If you love gooey, chocolatey, marshmellowy, graham crackery S’mores…you’re going to flip for this S’Mores Pie. It’s all the flavors rolled into a single luscious pie. The kids will flip for this one, as well as the adults. The Loon sure did! An instant keeper! 130% Loon Approved.
FOR THE GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST
- 14 graham crackers
- 2 tbsp firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
- Pinch Kosher salt
FOR THE PIE
- 1 Graham Cracker crust follow recipe given here
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 large eggs separated
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- Pinch Kosher salt
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate chopped (I use morsels)
- 2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate chopped
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
MAKE THE GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- In a food processor, pulse the graham crackers until finely ground.
- Add the brown sugar, melted butter, and salt and pulse until the texture resembles wet sand.
- Gently press the mixture evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9 1/2 inch pie dish, pressing until compact.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack before filling.
MAKE THE PIE
- In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the milk until it just begins to simmer and then remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, 3/4 cup of the sugar, and the salt until smooth.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder over the egg mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Add the hot milk, 1/4 cup at a time, to the egg mixture, whisking constantly, then pour the mixture back into the pan.
- Stir constantly over medium heat until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir constantly until the mixture coats the back of the spoon, about 1 minute longer.
- Add both chocolates and stir until melted, then stir in 1 teaspoon of the vanilla.
- Pour the filling into the crust and refrigerate, uncovered, until chilled, about 2 hours.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the egg whites and the remaining 1 cup sugar.
- Set the bowl over (but not touching) simmering water in a saucepan (you might want to wear oven mitts, or use kitchen towels to protect your hands from hot steam).
- Whisk until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is hot to the touch, about 2 minutes.
- Place the bowl on the mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and add the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Beat on high speed until the meringue cools and stiff peaks form, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Mount the meringue on top of the pie and lightly brown with a kitchen torch (or brown under the broiler for 3 - 5 minutes...watch closely...don't let it burn!).