If you love gooey, chocolatey, marshmallowy, graham crackery S’mores…you’re going to flip for this pie!
It’s all the flavors rolled into a single luscious pie. The kids will flip for this one, as well as the adults. The chocolate is intense, and reminds us of our amazing Extreme Chocolate Layer Cake. But with a creamy topping!
HOW TO MAKE S’MORES PIE FROM SCRATCH
What really puts this amazing pie over the top is that everything is made from scratch!
But don’t let that intimidate you. Nothing is really that difficult, and various components can be prepared in advance.
You can absolutely make the graham cracker crust in advance. Do you love graham crackers as much as we do? Learn more about these addictively delicious crackers and their unlikely history here.
Now, it’s time to bring on the chocolate for our S’Mores Pie! Hooray for chocolate!
We love creating a creamy super chocolatey filling on the stove first. The texture is absolutely divine!
Cook the filling until thick and very luxurious!
BUILDING THE LAYERS OF THE PIE
The filling can be made several hours in advance, too.
Simply use a nice large wooden spoon to evenly spread the filling on top of the cooled crust.
Making the meringue top can also be done in advance, but no more than a couple hours.
You can use a stand mixer or a hand mixer, and the topping comes together very quickly.
Yes to meringue topping!
Are you ready to make the best S’Mores Pie ever? Go for it!
And when you do, be sure to take a picture of it, post it on Instagram, and tag @howtofeedaloon and #howtofeedaloon!
FOR THE GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST
- 14 graham crackers
- 2 tbsp firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
- Pinch Kosher salt
FOR THE PIE
- 1 Graham Cracker crust follow recipe given here
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 large leggs separated
- 1¾ cups sugar
- Pinch Kosher salt
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate chopped (I use morsels)
- 2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate chopped
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
MAKE THE GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- In a food processor, pulse the graham crackers until finely ground.
- Add the brown sugar, melted butter, and salt and pulse until the texture resembles wet sand.
- Gently press the mixture evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9 1/2 inch pie dish, pressing until compact.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack before filling.
MAKE THE PIE
- In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the milk until it just begins to simmer and then remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, 3/4 cup of the sugar, and the salt until smooth.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder over the egg mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Add the hot milk, 1/4 cup at a time, to the egg mixture, whisking constantly, then pour the mixture back into the pan.
- Stir constantly over medium heat until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir constantly until the mixture coats the back of the spoon, about 1 minute longer.
- Add both chocolates and stir until melted, then stir in 1 teaspoon of the vanilla.
- Pour the filling into the crust and refrigerate, uncovered, until chilled, about 2 hours.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the egg whites and the remaining 1 cup sugar.
- Set the bowl over (but not touching) simmering water in a saucepan (you might want to wear oven mitts, or use kitchen towels to protect your hands from hot steam).
- Whisk until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is hot to the touch, about 2 minutes.
- Place the bowl on the mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and add the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Beat on high speed until the meringue cools and stiff peaks form, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Mount the meringue on top of the pie and lightly brown with a kitchen torch (or brown under the broiler for 3 - 5 minutes...watch closely...don't let it burn!).