This sausage gravy is perfect for biscuits and gravy. Of course, you can omit the sausage, if you’d like. Then you’ve got yourself a classic white cream gravy…perfect for mashed potatoes, chicken fried steak, and so on. Start with a white roux, whisk in the cream, add the cooked sausage and seasonings…let thicken a bit…and you’ll be in heaven.
- 8 oz breakfast sausage
- 2 tbsp bacon grease or lard, oil or unsalted butter
- 3 to 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp Adobo all-purpose seasoning
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Remove the sausage from the skillet into a bowl.
- In the same skillet, over medium-high heat, add the bacon grease.
- Once melted, add the flour and stir frequently to make a lightly browned roux. About 2 to 3 minutes. It should be the consistency of wet sand. Add more flour if too saucy, and add more grease, if too dry.
- Using a whisk, pour in the cream, and whisk constantly.
- The gravy will start to thicken after about 4 minutes...add in milk to reach the desired consistency.
- Add in sausage and seasonings.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.