Roasted Root Vegetables with Herbs is just so simple, earthy, and truly comforting. Use whatever root veggies you can find, but I just love parsnips, carrots and turnips. Throw in some fresh fennel, Yukon gold potatoes, onion and fresh herbs…and…child…you did good. You did real good. 130% Loon Approved.
Roasted Root Vegetables and Herbs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 Parsnips peeled and cut into wedges
- 3 to 4 large carrots peeled with tops snipped off
- 1 Turnip peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 yellow onions peeled and cut lengthwise into quarters
- 1 fresh fennel stalks cut lengthwise into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 425 F.
- Lightly oil a large roasting pan.
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes, parsnips, carrots and turnip with 2 tablespoons of the oil to coat.
- Spread in the prepared pan and bake until the vegetables begin to soften, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the onion wedges with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, keeping the wedges in tact as much as possible.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven and turn the veggies over with a wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle the thyme, rosemary and couple pinches of salt and pepper over the veggies and gently mix.
- Nestle the onion wedges and fennel among the veggies in the pan.
- Place back in the oven and roast until the veggies are very tender and their edges are slightly browned, about 30 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven, taste, and add a pinch more salt, if needed. Serve at once.