Roasted Chicken with Vegetables is just so completely satisfying.
We absolutely love the combination of lemon and herbs that are slow-cooked with the chicken. Ask your butcher to cut your whole organic chicken in half for you. This is comfort food at its very best!
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED CHICKEN WITH VEGETABLES
Roasted chicken with vegetables is actually quite simple to prepare.
And it’s the simplicity of the dish that makes it so good.
We start with a variety of vegetables, including fingerling potatoes, fresh fennel, carrots, and garlic.
Try and vary up the colors for a beautiful presentation. Seek out rainbow carrots if you can.
LEMON-INFUSED OIL IS IDEAL
Olive oil that has been infused with lemon is available in the oil section of most well-stock supermarket, or can be ordered online.
The lemon flavor is a perfect compliment to the roasted chicken with vegetables.
And the vinaigrette can be made several days in advance of serving the dish. Simply store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
A SPLIT ORGANIC CHICKEN IS GREAT
Ask your butcher to split the whole chicken down the middle to form two uniform pieces.
If you don’t have a butcher that can do this for you, simply use various chicken pieces.
Liberally rub the chicken all over with the lemon-infused oil and then salt and pepper the bird.
You won’t believe the smell of this dish as it is cooking.
Just amazing! This is simple French cuisine at its very best! It is wonderful for a weeknight meal or an elegant dinner party! Delicious!
EXPERT TIP: Save the giblets for making stock!
Roasted Lemon Chicken with Vegetables
FOR THE LEMON HERB VINAIGRETTE
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
FOR THE CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES
- 1 1/2 lbs fingerling potatoes cut in half lengthwise
- 1 7 oz package baby rainbow carrots, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 fennel bulb stalks cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 whole garlic cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- Lemon Vinaigrette see recipe
- 3 tsp Kosher salt 1 for the vegetables and 2 for the chicken
- 2 tsp ground black pepper 1 for the vegetables and 1 for the chicken
- 1/4 cup lemon-infused olive oil
- 1 4 lb whole chicken, cut in half (giblets removed)
- MAKE THE LEMON AND HERB VINAIGRETTE:
- In a small-medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Add tarragon, dill, salt, and pepper, whisking to combine. Set aside.
- MAKE THE CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES:
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, carrots, fennel, garlic, and bay leaves.
- Pour the lemon vinaigrette over the vegetables, and add 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper, stir to combine.
- Place the vegetables in a large Dutch oven (or oven-ready roasting pan or dish).
- Rub the chicken with the lemon-infused olive oil.
- Sprinkle both sides evenly with the remaining 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper.
- Place chicken on top of vegetables.
- Bake until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh reads 165 F, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from the oven.
- Transfer the chicken to serving platter.
- Stir vegetables to coat with pan juice. (Discard bay leaves before serving). Place the vegetables around the chicken, or in a separate vessel.