I’m a bit of a queso fanatic, and this Queso with Chorizo recipe is one of my all-time favorite dips.
I just love a good creamy, cheesy queso, especially if it has a bit of a kick to it! And man, oh man, does this fit the queso bill!
Queso has been around for generations and is loved by people all over this amazing planet. We love history, and the history of this incredibly delicious cheese creation is fabulous! Learn more here!
I grew up eating the classic Velveeta and Ro-tel dip…I mean I ate it constantly. Although, back in the day, when I was very young, my mom had to make it in a double-boiler, which was a bit of a pain. And then came along one of mankind’s greatest inventions: the microwave! It made melting the velvety Velveeta so easy.
Well, this Queso with Chorizo still holds onto some of that traditional dip that I grew up on, but it’s a little more grown-up. We just love the simple ingredients that make this queso sing with beautiful flavor!
Also, if you love this queso, you’ll probably also love our:
But in the meantime, you’ve just got to try this amazing dip!
The flavors meld together beautifully, and it’s perfect for a party or a kick-off to a fun taco dinner!
It’s easy, and super delicious!
Queso with Chorizo
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chorizo sausage fresh, casings removed, roughly crumbled
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 8 oz Velveeta cubed
- 6 oz cheddar cheese shredded
- 6 oz Monterrey Jack cheese shredded
- 8 oz can green chilies chopped
- 2 chipotle chilies in Adobo sauce chopped, plus 2 tbsps of the adobo sauce
- 1½ tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp Ancho chili powde or regular chili powder
- 1 tomato chopped, for garnish
- 2 tbsp cilantro fresh, chopped, for garnish
- corn tortilla chips
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and then cook the sausage until browned and crisp. Drain and reserve the sausage.
- In the same skillet, add the cream and heat over medium heat.
- Add the Velveeta and stir until melted, about 4 minutes.
- Add the cheddar and Jack cheeses, stir until melted and smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Add the green chilies, chipotle chilies, adobo sauce (from the can of chipotles), salt, chili powder and stir to fully incorporate.
- Stir in about half of the cooked chorizo.
- Add the remaining chorizo and tomato and cilantro on top, as garnish.
- Serve with warmed tortilla chips.