Poached Salmon with Béarnaise Sauce is a spectacular dish.
The Loon is back and forth on salmon, some days “it’s just too fishy!”…and other days: “oh my God, this salmon is amazing”. Well, the latter is what he says when I make this version of salmon. And it comes together in about 30 minutes!
POACHED SALMON WITH BÉARNAISE SAUCE IS EASY TO MAKE
Of course it all starts with a nice salmon fillet.
For this dish, we prefer to not keep the skin on the salmon.
You can remove this with a sharp knife, or even better, ask your fish monger to do it for you. He/she can remove it in a snap.
HOW TO POACH SALMON
We utilize a true French technique for poaching the salmon called Court Bouillon, which means a ‘short’ and savory cooking broth. This is good, a delicious cooking liquid that doesn’t take long to make!
The court bouillon adds a delicious flavor to the poached salmon with béarnaise sauce.
And the smell in your kitchen? Simply incredible! After it’s simmered, you then strain the liquid into a separate pot or bowl.
HOW TO MAKE BÉARNAISE SAUCE
Béarnaise sauce is the perfect accompaniment for this poached salmon. It is another classic French sauce, but you’ll be surprised how easy it is to prepare!
We walk you through a simple, yet effective method for making Classic Béarnaise sauce.
We utilize the blender technique, which we also use in our amazing Poached Salmon with Hollandaise Sauce.
This dish is so good and has such a sophisticated look and taste, but it is so surprisingly easy to prepare. And it’s healthy, too (just go easy on the sauce!).
Run, don’t walk, and get what you need to make this incredible Poached Salmon with Béarnaise Sauce!
Poached Salmon with Classic Bearnaise Sauce
- 4 salmon fillets
FOR THE COURT BOUILLON
- 2 quarts water
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1 carrot peeled, and roughly chopped
- 1 head garlic cut in half
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp salt
- Bearnaise Sauce for dressing
- Make the Court Bouillon by combing all ingredients (not salmon or Bearnaise) and simmering for 20 minutes.
- Strain and pour in a shallow pot and bring to a gentle simmer
- Add salmon and poach for 8 to 10 minute, or until just cooked
- Remove, slice horizontally, into large strips.
- Serve with Classic Bearnaise Sauce drizzled over the top.