These Perfect Pairs Poached in a Red Wine Reduction are so tender and rich in flavor. They look gorgeous, too. Oh, and seriously, they are easy to make!
Perfect Pears Poached in a Red Wine Reduction
- 1 bottle dry red wine
- 1/3 cup creme de cassis*
- 1 star anise
- 3 whole cloves
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 to 6 Bosc pears with stems left on peeled
- *find at your local liquor store
- Combine the wine, creme de casis, spices, zest, and sugar in a large pan (a Dutch oven works perfectly), large enough to hold the pears.
- Bring to a boil
- Reduce the heat and cook at a rapid simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the pears, stem ends up, and cook for 30 minutes, until pears are very tender.
- Remove the pears to a bowl.
- Bring the poaching liquid to a rapid boil and reduce by half.
- Pour the syrup over the pears and refrigerate, covered, for at least 6 hours.
- Remove from fridge, add pears to serving platter.
- Gently pour sauce over the pears.