Peppers stuffed with Tuna, Anchovies and Capers are truly unique and just wonderful. I got the idea for these a couple years ago, we were at a BBQ, and someone served something similar. I thought they were fantastic. I wanted to recreate them, with a bit of a twist. As I always do, I started researching to see what other cooks have done with a dish I had in mind. And I learned that this particular dish is a Sicilian staple. Jars of these gems are everywhere. They are beautiful. The versions using the cherry peppers definitely pack a punch of heat, but in a good way. The Piquant peppers are sweet and wonderful, too. Mmmm. Try these. I really think you’ll like them. Go for good quality canned tuna and anchovies…use top notch Parmesan cheese. These are so good. Loon Approved.
Peppers Stuffed with Tuna, Anchovies and Capers
- 18 to 20 bottled cherry peppers in brine
- 18 Piquant peppers try hot and sweet versions bottled in brine
- 12 oz Italian tuna packed in water drained
- 2 to 3 anchovies chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Juice of two lemons
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp pepper brine
- 1 tbsp hot sauce such as Tabasco
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt or more to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil about a cup
- Combine all the ingredients (except for the peppers) in a medium mixing bowl.
- Fill the cherry peppers with the tuna mixture - serve on a platter
- Fill the Piquant peppers with the tuna mixture and gently add to a jar.
- Fill the jar with the extra virgin olive oil and seal.