This Pan Bagnat takes us back to the French coast along the Mediterranean Sea.
So fresh and just teaming with incredible flavor. This is one of those dishes that just gets better over some time. Make it the night before, and you’ll be in awe of the sandwiches or salad you make the next day. And it all comes together in less than 30 minutes. So good!
HOW TO MAKE PAN BAGNAT
First of all, folk always ask what is the Pan Banat pronunciation. Here it is: pahhn ban-yah: Or, take a listen!
This amazing sandwich is a French creation (of course) that is popular in one of our most favorite cities in the world, Nice, France.
It’s loaded with quality tuna, olives, and herbs. It’s similar to a salade niçoise. The ingredients are not hard to come by, but we do recommend going with quality when making this amazing sandwich.
You can certainly go with canned tuna here, but do make sure it’s a good variety.
There are so many available nowadays, especially in well-stock supermarkets and gourmet markets.
Anything imported from the Mediterranean Sea is going to be top-notch.
We really think that along with the fresh ingredients, it’s the homemade vinaigrette that puts this sandwich over the top.
You can easily make it in advance and store in your refrigerator for a day or two.
A blender brings it together in a snap!
Folks, ready for a taste of the South of France? Go for it!
And when you make it, be sure to take a picture, post it on Instagram, and tag @howtofeedaloon and hashtag #howtofeedaloon!
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- 6 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeno roasted, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
FOR THE SALAD/SANDWICH
- 8 ciabatta rolls or 2 baguettes
- 1 lb olive oil-packed tuna flaked
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives roughly chopped
- 1 large cucumber peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion finely chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs chopped
- 2 tbsp capers rinsed
MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE
- Combine the vinegar, basil, parsley, anchovies, and jalapeno in a blender and puree until smooth.
- With the motor running, slowly pour in the oil.
- (The vinaigrette can be made up to 2 days in advance. Shake well to recombine before using)
MAKE THE SALAD/SANDWICHES:
- Cut the rolls in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides.
- Crumble the bread that you've pulled out of the rolls into a large bowl and add the tuna, tomatoes, roasted peppers, olives, cucumber, onion, eggs, capers and garlic.
- Add enough vinaigrette to moisten and bind the filling. (leave enough to brush the inside of the rolls with)
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Brush the inside of the rolls with some of the remaining vinaigrette.
- Fill the roll with about 1/2 cup of the tuna mixture and firmly press the sandwich closed.
- Wrap each sandwich tightly with paper (or foil) and let rest at room temperature for a least 1 hour before serving.
- (You can keep the assembled sandwiches in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours).