Olive Oil Ice Cream with Roasted Balsamic Strawberries is one of those desserts that people will take note of. Use a really top notch ‘fruity’ extra virgin olive oil (I used Huile DOlive Vierge Extra from www.moulin-barbentane.com) and you won’t be disappointed. It something divine. Not overly sweet, but so rich and full of flavor. And it pairs incredibly with roasted balsamic strawberries. Again, all of these flavors come together to make an ice cream dessert that you’ll never forget, and want to make time and time again. 150% Loon Approved.
Olive Oil Ice Cream with Roasted Balsamic Strawberries
FOR THE ICE CREAM
- 1 1/3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
FOR THE ROASTED BALSAMIC STRAWBERRIES
- 2 pints about 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered or halved
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar.
MAKE THE ICE CREAM
- Warm the milk, sugar, and salt in a medium pan.
- Pour the heavy cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top, set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks.
- Slowly pour the warm cream into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then pour the eggs/cream back into the saucepan.
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a wooden spoon (or a rubber spatula), scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens (but don't let the eggs scramble!).
- Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the heavy cream.
- Whisk the olive oil into the custard vigorously until it's well blended.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator (for at least 2 hours).
- Freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Top with roasted balsamic strawberries when ready to serve.
PREPARE THE ROASTED BALSAMIC STRAWBERRIES
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
- Place the berries in a 9"x13" glass dish and pour the sugar and vinegar over them, and then mix them up to coat the berries.
- Roast for 45 minutes, stirring once, about halfway through.
- Vinegar will become thickened and syrupy (perfect!)