This New Potato & Radish Salad with Mustard Dill Vinaigrette is so fresh and so vibrant. We love all kinds of potato salad, but this is one of our favorites. You can easily pack this in a cooler and bring to a picnic or BBQ, but it’s also elegant enough to serve at a wedding or baby shower. Very versatile, and always a big hit when we serve it for guests. 100% Loon Approved!
New Potato and Radish Salad
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- 1/4 cup cider-vinegar
- 10 cornichon pickles or petite dill, minced
- 3 tbsp fresh dill minced (you'll need another 2 tablespoons for when mixing the salad)
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup good-quality extra-virgin olive oil
FOR THE SALAD
- 2 lbs red new potatoes
- 4 celery ribs finely chopped
- 8 large radishes trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche or sour cream (for passing)
MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE
- In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, cornichons, minced dill, shallots, mustard, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until the salt and sugar dissolve.
- Add the oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly until the dressing is well blended.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
PREPARE THE POTATOES
- Have a large bowl of ice water ready.
- In a large pot, combine the potatoes, 1 tablespoon salt, and water to cover by 1 inch and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Simmer until the potatoes are just tender when pierced with a sharp knife, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and then carefully add to the ice water.
- Let cool, then drain again and pat dry.
- Cut each potato into halves or quarters.
ASSEMBLE THE SALAD
- Whisk the vinaigrette to recombine, then add the potatoes to the bowl.
- Add the celery and radishes and toss gently.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Sprinkle the salad with the remaining chopped dill.
- Serve, passing the creme fraiche at the table.