These are mouth watering good. Another great dish for serving at a party, or as an appetizer to a wonderful Italian dinner party.
You can use hot Italian sausage, or Sweet Italian sausage, or combo of both. I use a combo. The pickled hot cherry peppers give them an amazing boost of flavor. Incredible.
Mushrooms Stuffed with Italian Sausage and Peppers
- 16 large white mushrooms
- 1/4 cup good olive oil plus a little more for drizzling
- 3 Italian sausage links casing removed (hot, sweet, or combo of both)
- 1 green bell pepper stem, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Italian breadcrumbs 6 slices of white bread, 1/4 cup Romano cheese, 1/2 cup of chopped parsley, 2 cloves of chopped garlic...pulse in food processor
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup diced pickled hot cherry tomatoes adjust amount to taste
- Wipe the mushrooms clean and remove the stems. Set aside the 12 largest caps.
- Finely chop the remaining mushrooms and stems (you can do this in the food processor). Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the sausage. Cook for about 5 minutes...breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Add the green peppers, garlic and chopped mushrooms. Cook for another 10 minutes, until most of the moisture from the mushrooms have evaporated.
- Add the bread crumbs and chicken stock.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the cheese and the cherry peppers.
- Spread the mixture onto a platter and then place in the fridge to cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
- Stuff each of the mushroom caps with the sausage and pepper mixture and place in a large roasting or casserole dish.
- Drizzle the stuffed mushrooms with olive oil.
- Bake for 35 minutes...or until nicely browned on top, and the mushrooms are soft.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a platter and and spoon the remaining pan juices over the top.
- Garnish with finely chopped parsley.