Chef Donald Link’s recipe for Lump Crab and Tomato Salad will literally make you feel like you are sitting on the beach at Martha’s Vineyard, soaking in the gorgeous ocean, the Summer breeze, and the exquisitely fresh tastes of Summer. Go to a good quality fish market and get some awesome lump crab meat. Of course, tomatoes direct from the garden are the best, but canned (ie, San Marzano) will certainly work, too.
This is the perfect Summer salad, but can be adapted when Summer veggies aren’t available. Make this, and you will impress! Make the crab salad a day before serving, no prob!
Lump Crab and Tomato Salad
- 1 jalapeno pepper stemmed, seeded, and finely diced
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp good mayonnaise
- 8 mint leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Generous pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 lb jumbo lump crab meat
- 2 large ripe tomatoes heirloom are good....slice almost 1/2 inch thick (yep, thick).
- Kosher salt
- Combine the jalapeno, lime zest and juice, and vinegar in the bowl of a food processor/or a good blender, and puree until smooth.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and fold in the mayo, mint, salt, red pepper flakes, and and cayenne.
- Add the crab to the dressing and gently fold together .
- Place the tomatoes on the platter(s)
- Top with the crab salad.
- Serve immediately!