This Jalapeno-Lime Slaw is such a nice, simple twist on classic coleslaw. You can control how much heat goes into this slaw by how much jalapeno you use. I think half a jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, adds just the right amount of zing. This slaw is so fresh and wonderful in its simplicity. A true summer favorite!! And it just gets better after it sits in the fridge overnight!! 125% Loon Approved.
- 4 cups green cabbage finely shredded
- 1 tbsp salt plus more to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 fresh jalapeno cored, seeded and ribs removed, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- Put the cabbage in a colander set over a bowl or in the sink, toss with the salt, and let sit for 20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the lime juice, oil, pepper, and cilantro.
- Gently squeeze the cabbage to remove any excess moisture.
- Still with the cabbage in the colander, run cold water over it, tossing it a bit to remove excess salt.
- Add the cabbage to the dressing and toss to coat. Taste and add a pinch of salt, if needed.
- Let sit at least 30 minutes (and up to 1 day) before serving.