Jalapeño-Cilantro-Cheddar Soup is the perfect soup for when the weather turns chilly and you’re looking for a dish that will warm you and make your and your friends smile. The cooked jalapeno is the perfect balance to the cream and cheese. It’s a little decadent, but so comfy and yummy. You won’t believe how quickly this heart-warming soup will disappear. Enjoy…absolutely Loon approved.
- 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 5 jalapeno peppers seeded and minced
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 3/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 avocado peeled and chopped
- 4 roma tomatoes diced
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 8 oz good quality cheddar cheese shredded
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bunch of cilantro stemmed and chopped
- Tortilla chips
- In a large pot (preferably a Dutch oven), heat the butter over medium-high heat.
- Saute the jalapenos, garlic and onions for about 10 minutes (save a little for garnish).
- Remove from the heat and add the avocado, tomatoes and cream. (save some tomatoes for garnish)
- Turn the heat to low and add the cheese, stirring frequently until the cheese has melted (save some cheese for garnish).
- Slowly bring the soup to a simmer, cooking to reduce by about 30 percent - about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Season with salt (about a teaspoon) and pepper (about a half a teaspoon).
- Just before serving, add the cilantro, reserving about 1 teaspoon per serving for garnish.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, cheese, jalapeno and tomatoes. Serve with tortilla chips.