This incredible lemon poppy seed pound cake is really one of mine and the Loon’s all-time favorites. So lemony…so moist…and so good. It’s not hard to make…make this and you and your guests will be very happy.
Incredible Lemon Poppy seed Pound Cake
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sifted bleached cake flour sifted into the cup, then leveled off
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp poppy-seeds
- 13 tbsp unsalted butter softened
FOR THE LEMON SYRUP
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
FOR THE GLAZE
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- Grease and flour a 8 x 4 loaf pan. Line bottom with parchments paper and spray with vegetable spray and flour again.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F
- In a medium bowl, lightly combine the milk, eggs and vanilla.
- In a large mixing bowl (if you can, use a whisk beater), combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, lemon zest and poppy seeds.
- Mix on low, to blend.
- Now, put on your mixing attachment...add the butter, and half of the egg mixture.
- Mix on low until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Increase to medium speed, and beat for 1 minute.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Gradually add the remaining egg mixture in 2 batches, beating to incorporate.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 55 minutes, covering with foil after 30 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick...when removed, it should come out clean. If still we batter clinging, cook for another 10 minutes.
- Quickly make the lemon syrup...dissolve the sugar in the lemon juice in a small pan over low heat.
- Remove from oven and rest on rack for 10 minutes.
- Pock the top of the bread with a toothpick all over.
- Pour half of the lemon syrup over the top of the pound cake.
- Run a sharp knife around the edges, to loosen the cake from the pan.
- Invert the cake.
- Poke more holes into the bottom of the cake, and then pour the remainder of the lemon syrup over the bottom of the cake.
- Turn the cake back upright.
- Heat the powdered sugar, lemon juice and vanilla in a small pan over low hear. Stir until completely dissolved.
- Slice the pound cake.
- Drizzle the glaze over the sliced pound cake slices.