How to Make Homemade Pickle Relish shows you how to take your BBQ to the next level with not-so-difficult-to-make Pickle Relish. It’s the perfect balance of savory with a touch of sweetness. And the dill just puts it over the top. Once you have this, you will never, ever buy the bottled stuff again! Let’s have a BBQ! With Homemade Pickle Relish! 135% Loon Approved!
How to Make Homemade Pickle Relish
- 2 cups Kirby cucumbers peeled and finely chopped (about 3 Kirby cukes)
- 1/2 cup yellow onion finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp corn starch dissolved in 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- Toss cucumber and onion with 3/4 teaspoon salt in a sieve set over a bowl and let drain for 3 hours.
- Place cucumbers and onion in cheese cloth (or a kitchen towel) and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Bring vinegar, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium heavy saucepan, stirring until sugar has dissolved, then boil until reduced to about 1/2 cup, 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add cucumber-onion mixture and simmer, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Stir cornstarch slurry, then stir into relish.
- Mix in dill.
- Simmer, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Transfer relish to a bowl and chill, uncovered, until cold, about 1 1/2 hours.