Heath Bar Fudge Brownies – What more needs to be said? Decadent? Yes. Rich? Yes. Unbelievably gooey? Yes.
Insanely delicious? Absolutely.
130% Loon Approved.
Heath Bar Fudge Brownies
FOR THE BROWNIES
- 4 tbsp 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing the dish
- 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate coarsely chopped
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 8-oz packages Heath toffee bits (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
FOR THE FUDGE ICING
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter 3/4 stick
- 1 1/2 oz unsweetened chocolate coarsely chopped
- 1 oz bittersweet chocolate coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup confectioners sugar
MAKE THE BROWNIES
- Heat oven to 350 F and butter a 9"x13" baking dish.
- In a bowl, whisk the cocoa powder with 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler, or in a metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Whisk in the cocoa mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla.
- Whisk in the chocolate mixture. Sift the flour and salt into the batter, and stir to combine.
- Stir in 2 cups of the toffee chips and the chocolate chips (1 cup).
- Use a rubber spatula to transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish.
- Bake until a tester inserted in the middle of the pan comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
MAKE THE FUDGE ICING
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a double boiler, or in a metal bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water.
- Combine the sour cream and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Add the warm, melted chocolate and whisk until all ingredients are combined and the icing is thick and glossy.
- Set the icing aside in a cool space to rest at least for 1 hour, until it becomes thick and spreadable.
FINISH THE BROWNIES!
- Use a frosting knife to evenly ice the brownies (it will be a thin layer of icing).
- Sprinkle the remaining toffee chips over the top.
- When you're ready to serve, slice the brownies into 12 equal bars (they'll be nice and big).