Well, what does one say about Fried Green Tomatoes and Corn and Tomato Saute? The usual adjectives come to mind…amazing, delicious, mind-blowing. Well, that’s what this dish is. Easy and incredible.
Fried Green Tomatoes on Corn and Tomato Saute
FOR THE CORN AND TOMATO SAUTE
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 poblano chile seeded and minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 large ripe tomatoes diced
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 4 fresh bay leaves 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 tsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 to 4 cups kernels from fresh corn about 5 ears...or frozen corn
- 7 basil leaves roughly chopped
FOR THE FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
- 1 OR 2 green tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups Italian bread crumbs Panko version, if you can find them
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the butter starts to sizzle, add the onion, poblano, jalapeno, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Saute for 5 minutes, stirring, until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and water, and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, until the tomatoes start to break down.
- Add the corn and simmer, until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in basil.
- While the corn simmers, heat the oil (either in your deep fryer, or in a large skillet at about 2 inches high) to 350 F, or test with a small piece of bread...when tossed in, if sizzles immediately...it's ready...but if burns quickly, turn down the heat and wait a few minutes.
- Slice the tomatoes into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices and liberally season with salt and pepper.
- Place the flour, buttermilk, and bread crumbs in individual bowls.
- One at a time, dip the tomato slices first in the flour, then in the buttermilk, and then in the bread crumbs.
- Fry the tomatoes on each side until golden all over, about 2 minutes per side (this will vary, keep a close eye, don't let burn).
- Spoon some of the warm corn/tomato saute (Maque Choux) onto plates or shallow bowls.
- Top with fried green tomato (1 or 2, per plate).