Fried Chicken Biscuit Sandwiches are the ultimate comfort sandwich.
Making homemade buttermilk biscuits is easier than you might think. And then quickly frying up flavorful, boneless chicken thighs is incredible. Topped with Sriracha mayonnaise and sliced dill pickles put this sandwich over the top!
HOW TO MAKE FRIED CHICKEN BISCUIT SANDWICHES
Okay, folks, the fried chicken may be the star of these amazing sandwiches, but the buttermilk biscuits sure give them a run for their chicken money!
Our recipe for flaky, Southern-style homemade biscuits just can’ be beat.
Of course, in a pinch, you could use store bought…but if you’re going to make one of the most delicious sandwiches in the world, why not make the biscuits?
THE PERFECT BREADING
Since we’re making Fried Chicken Biscuit Sandwiches, you’re going to (obviously) choose chicken pieces that are boneless. We think boneless chicken thighs are the best chicken pieces to use because they are the perfect sandwich size, and they are so flavorful.
You’ll need to set up a dredging lineup of buttermilk and then seasoned flour. First season the chicken with salt and pepper, then dip in the buttermilk, and then dredge in the seasoned flour until fully coated.
EXPERT TIP: If you like your chicken super crisp, repeat the dredging process to get another layer of breading.
HOW TO FRY THE CHICKEN PIECES
Next, it’s time to start frying! If you have a deep-fryer, great! Use vegetable oil and set the temperature to 360°F.
If you don’t have a deep-fryer, no problem. Set a large, sturdy skillet or pot (i.e, Dutch oven) on your stove over medium-high heat, and use a high-temperature thermometer (i.e., candy thermometer) and bring the oil to 360°F.
Carefully lower the chicken pieces in the oil and cook until crispy and golden. About 3 minutes per side. Remove and place on a paper towels to catch any excess oil. NOTE: Don’t overcrowd the pan. You’ll probably want to fry the pieces in a couple batches.
FRIED CHICKEN BISCUIT SANDWICHES ARE ALWAYS A HIT
Every time we serve these sandwiches, people flip at how good they are.
The Sriracha mayo puts them over the top.
You can easily make the biscuits several hours in advance, as well as the mayo. We think the chicken is served fresh and piping hot!
Fried Chicken & Buttermilk Biscuit Sandwiches
- 8 - 10 Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits can you store bought, in a pinch
- FOR THE SRIRACHA MAYO:
- 1 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoon Sriracha*
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt
- *Available in most super-markets in the condiments section
- FOR THE CHICKEN AND ASSEMBLY:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Louisiana hot sauce a few shakes
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Peanut or vegetable oil for frying
- Bread-and-butter pickles for garnish (optional)
- Make the homemade buttermilk biscuits (click here for easy recipe)
- MAKE THE SRIRACHA MAYO:
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and keep in the fridge until ready to use (can be made a day before).
- MAKE THE CHICKEN AND ASSEMBLE:
- Lightly season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Whisk flour, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the garlic powder in a medium bowl.
- Pour buttermilk into another bowl, and add hot sauce (to taste, 3 - 5 shakes is good).
- One piece at a time, dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, and shake off the excess.
- Dip in buttermilk, allowing excess to drip back into bowl, and then dredge again in the flour mixture, shaking off excess. Continue with remaining chicken. Place in fridge.
- Pour oil into a large heavy skillet to a depth of 1/2-inch.
- Add deep-fry thermometer in oil and heat to 350 F. (or toss in a small piece of bread, should sizzle and start to brown after a minute or so).
- Take chicken out of fridge and fry in batches until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a wire rack.
- Smear some sirarcha mayo on each side of the cut buttermilk biscuits.
- Top with a couple pieces of the fried chicken.
- Add a couple bread-and-butter pickles (optional).
- Top with biscuit top.