Okay, so everyone has had this classic casserole at church picnics, or Sunday get-togethers, or…oh, well, you know. It’s classic. We all love it. But, how about if we do this: kick it up a few notches and make the cream of mushroom soup from scratch? Meld the onions and the cheddar cheese. And use fresh broccoli. Um, yes. This is one of our all-time favorite casseroles…and this stepped-up version is not that hard to make, and is in a word: incredible.
Classic Broccoli, Rice and Cheddar Casserole
- 4 cups cream of mushroom soup see link below for recipe
- 2 heads broccoli cut into small florets (save the stems for another use)
- 12 oz grated cheddar cheese I use a combo of medium sharp cheddar and colby jack
- 1/2 medium onion roughly chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup scallions chopped (white and green parts)
- Pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
PREPARE THE CASSEROLE
- Cut the broccoli into small florets (use the stems for another recipe)
- Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 1 minute, then immediately drain and shock in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Butter an 8x10 inch baking dish.
- Warm the cream of mushroom soup in a saucepan over low heat.
- Use a wooden spoon, combine the broccoli, Cheddar cheese, onion, rice, scallions, salt and pepper, soup, and half the Parmesan in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter and bread crumbs.
- Transfer the broccoli-rice mixture to the baking dish and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan over the top and then sprinkle the bread crumbs over the cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Increase the heat to 425 F and cook for 8 more minutes, browning the top a bit.
- The sides of the casserole should be nice and bubbly.
- Remove the casserole and let stand for 10 to 15 minute before serving.