These Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars are for the chocolate lovers in your family. Oh, and the addition of Dulce de Leche and an incredible shortbread base doesn’t hurt either. The Loon requests these bars on a regular basis. They are great to pack and take to a picnic or on a road trip. Amazingly delicious. 135% Loon Approved!
Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup dulce de leche
- 4 large egg yolks
- 5 oz 60%-cacao bittersweet chocolate finely chopped (preferably in a food processor)
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F.
- Butter a shallow 9" x 9" square baking pan (1" - 1 1/2" deep).
- Line bottom and two sides with parchment paper, leaving an overhang. Butter parchment.
- Blend together butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt in a bowl with a fork.
- Sift in flour and blend with fork until a soft dough forms.
- Spread dough in pan; prick all over with fork.
- Bake until golden, 15 - 20 minutes, then cool completely in pan on a rack, about 30 minutes.
- Bring cream and dulce de leche to a simmer in a small heavy saucepan, stirring with a wooden spoon until dulce de leche has dissolved.
- Whisk together yolks in a bowl, then slowly whisk in hot cream mixture.
- Return to pan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until pan is visible in tracks of spoon and mixture registers 170° on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate until melted.
- Pour chocolate mixture over cooled shortbread and chill, uncovered, until cold and set, about 2 hours.
- Run a small knife around edges to loosen, then transfer to a cutting board using parchment.
- cut with a hot clean knife (dip in hot water wipe clean between cuts) into 24 bars.
- Chill until ready to serve.