Chilled Corn Chowder with Sun-Dried Tomatoes is an amazing soup, especially when the temperature is really heating up outside! I came across this soup when we were visiting La Quinta, California for a James Beard Gala and it’s been on my mind ever since. The toasts topped with the goat cheese and chive spread make it all come together for a taste sensation you and your loved ones won’t soon forget. 125% Loon Approved!
Chilled Corn Chowder with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
FOR THE ROASTED GARLIC
- 1 whole head of garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
FOR THE SOUP
- 4 ears sweet corn husks removed
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups yellow onion chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp minced lemon zest
- 4 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tbsp of the roasted garlic
- 3/4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes re-hydrated in water and drained
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE GOAT CHEESE-CHIVE TOASTS
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1 tbsp minced chives
- 1 baguette cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch slices
MAKE THE ROASTED GARLIC
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
- Cut off just the very top of whole garlic head so that the cloves of garlic are just barely exposed.
- Drizzle top with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover in aluminum foil, leaving a small area open at the top.
- Roast garlic for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly, then squeeze the garlic cloves out of the head and discard the skin.
MAKE THE SOUP
- Using a serrated knife, remove corn from cob by scraping down the cob (this will give you about 2 cups). Reserve the cobs.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, tarragon, cumin, turmeric, and 1 teaspoon lemon zest and saute for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add corn, reserved corn cobs, stock, and wine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 12 minutes. Remove cobs with tongs.
- Carefully transfer soup mixture to a blender and add the roasted garlic, lemon juice and sour cream. Puree (you may need to do this in batches).
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and give it a couple quick pulses.
- Stir thoroughly and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
MAKE THE GOAT CHEESE-CHIVE TOASTS
- Mix goat cheese, chives, and 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest together and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve the soup, spread goat cheese-chive mixture on bread slices.
- Place under broiler for about 5 to 6 minutes, until goat cheese starts to brown slightly.
- Place 1 or 2 toasts in each bowl of soup and garnish with chopped tarragon.