One of our favorite places to eat in New York City is Alex Stupak’s El Pastor in the East Village. Chef Stupak pushes the envelope with his Mexican-inspired menu every single night. One of his many off-the-charts creations is something that sounds strange, but somehow hits a major home run: Cheeseburger Tacos. It is truly sublime.
These Cheeseburger Tacos are actually very popular in Mexico, which is where Stupak first got the idea. It blends the cheeseburger, the quintessential American culinary creation, with the taco, the ubiquitous tantalizing Mexican street food, and creates something decadent, but amazing. Of course, making the flour tortillas and the salsa roja from scratch makes it even better. Seek out a good Mexican melting cheese, like Chihuahua, but if that’s unavailable, Monterery Jack will do in a pinch. These Cheeseburger Tacos are something to behold. 130% Loon Approved.
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 TSP pork lard or vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 lb Chihuahua cheese grated
MAKE THE FILLING
- Place a large non-stick pan over medium heat and add the lard.
- Once the fat is shimmering, add the ground beef and cook, stirring, until crumbly and browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, taste, and add more, if desired.
- Add the grated cheese and stir until completely melted, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
ASSEMBLE THE TACOS
- Lay out the warm tortillas on serving plates.
- Place a tablespoon of mayonnaise on each tortilla and spread, using the back of a spoon.
- Evenly distribute the cheeseburger filling among the tortillas and top with the tomato, avocado, onion, cilantro and a drizzle of the Salsa Roja.
- Squeeze a couple of the limes wedges overs the tacos and serve the rest on the side.