This burgundy reduced-mushrooms, caramelized onions and Swiss burger is one for the record books. Serve on a lightly grilled onion bun and you won’t believe the flavor sensation of this burgers! Wow, oh wow!
Burgundy-Reduced Mushrooms, Caramelized Onions and Swiss Burger
This burgundy-reduced mushrooms, caramelized onions and Swiss Burger on an onion roll is so good. Use 85% lean sirloin for the juicy perfect burger. Incredible!
Author: Kris Longwell
Recipe type: Hamburger
- 2 lbs of 85% ground sirloin
- ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce (plus a couple more splashes)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ lb mushrooms (combo of button, shiitake, bella) - sliced
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme, chopped
- ¾ cup of burgundy red wine
- ¼ of beef stock
- ½ teaspoon of Kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- Swiss baby cheese, slices (about 8)
- 8 onion rolls, split
- Butter (for the buns)
- In a medium bowl, gently mix the ground beef, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, a few dashes of salt and pepper.
- Form the beef until about 4 patties...indent the center of each.
- In a large Dutch oven, or a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon over medium heat.
- Once melted add the mushrooms, and cover with the melted butter.
- Add the thyme. Stir.
- Add the wine and the stock and simmer until reduced to about ¼ cup.
- Add the salt and black pepper, to taste.
- In another skillet, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter.
- Add the onions and cook until caramelized...about 15 minutes.
- Heat the grill over medium high heat.
- Add the burgers and add a couple splashes of Worstershire.
- Salt and pepper.
- Flip the burgers. Cook for about 6 minutes per side, for medium.
- Add the Swiss cheese, until just melted. Removed from the grill.
- Butter the split buns, and add to the grill. Cook until lightly browned (about 2 minutes).
- Assemble the burgers. Place burgers on the buns, and the add the mushroom sauce and then the caramelized onions on top.