This Baked Sausage, Potatoes and Roasted Red Peppers is yummy and baked in only about a 1/2 hour. A mandolin ensures thinly, evenly sliced potatoes, but it’s not required. Just cut your spuds nice and thin, and you’re in business. Caramelize those onions. You can roast a couple red peppers, or find a good quality prepared type in your market. Stack it all up…and enjoy the mix of zest with sweet, along with the crunch of the potatoes. This recipe can be halved for a nice appetizer dish. Enjoy! Loon approved!
Baked Sausage, Potatoes and Roasted Red Peppers
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions thinly sliced
- 4 russet potatoes peeled and thinly sliced (if using a mandolin, set to 1/8")
- 3 hot sausage links casings removed
- 1 cup roughly chopped roasted red pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 450 F.
- Grease a 2-qt casserole dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet or medium-high heat.
- Add the onions to the skillet and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Layer the potato slices over the bottom, and up the sides, of the prepared dish. Overlap the potatoes, 3 to 4 potatoes deep. Leave enough potatoes to cover the top of the dish.
- Crumble the sausage over the potatoes.
- Arrange the sauteed onions evenly over the sausage.
- Arrange the roasted peppers overs over the onions.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the mixture (a good pinch, or two, or each).
- Arrange the remaining potatoes over the peppers.
- Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the top layer of potatoes.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Season the top with another couple pinches of salt and pepper.
- Dot the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Bake until the potatoes are browned, the sausage is fully cooked, and you can easily insert a sharp knife through the center of the casserole...about 30 minutes.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes.