I love making this Amazing Asparagus Risotto in the Spring when asparagus is at it’s freshest. But, really, it’s so great, you can make this any time of the year. Such simple ingredients, yet such a sublime dish. Go with vegetable stock to make it completely vegetarian.
It’s important to maintain a consistent heat level as you are cooking the rice (you must go with Arborio or Carnaroli rice, which you can find at most major supermarkets), add the stock in stages and make sure the stock is hot. And a great chef once told us that one of the secrets to great risotto is constant stirring with a wooden spoon. Give it a go! Each time you make it, you’ll get a better knack for how to make the perfect risotto! 100% Loon Approved!
Another amazing risotto recipe with asparagus is our awesome Butternut Squash, Asparagus and Roasted Chicken RisottoButternut Squash, Asparagus and Roasted Chicken Risotto!
Amazing Asparagus Risotto
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 12 to 16 oz fresh asparagus trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock you may not use all 8 cups
- 1/4 quality olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves cloves minced
- 2 cups Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil.
- Add the asparagus and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Drain and add to a bowl with cold water, and then drain again. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan, bring the stock to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce the heat to low, but maintain a gentle simmer.
- In another large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the rice and stir until well coated, about 2 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook, stirring, until completely absorbed.
- Add the hot stock to the rice a ladleful at a time, stirring frequently after each addition. Wait until the stock is almost completely absorbed before adding the next ladleful.
- After about 25 minutes, the rice should be tender and creamy. If it is not quite done, continue to cook, adding the remaining stock until desired texture.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the asparagus, butter, and Parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper (start with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper), taste, and add more, in needed. Serve at once.