Okay, you had us at Grits. But Cheesy Grits? Um…Shrimp and Cheesy Grits? Oh, good heavens.
This Southern Shrimp and Cheesy Grits recipe is so astoundingly good, you have to try it to believe it.
Um, it bears repeating: Mercy, this is an amazing dish:
Watch us make this incredibly delicious Southern Shrimp and Cheesy Grits recipe! Get ready to have some fun and get hungry!
Shrimp & Grits is classic Southern U.S. cuisine. These grits are loaded with flavor…they are creamy, cheesy and buttery…and sinfully delicious.
We LOVE grits!
Oh, and did we mention cheese?
Yes, cheddar cheese, please.
And of course, we couldn’t just stop there! You know what this dish needs? BACON!!
Bacon, bacon, bacon!!
We are getting so close to shrimp and grits perfection!
And then the Gulf shrimp is sautéed and is loaded with incredible flavor.
The smell alone is worth writing home about!
Look at that shrimp!
Topped off with sauteed gulf shrimp in garlic, scallions, parsley lemon juice, smoked paprika and a dash of hot sauce.
Well, this is Southern decadence at its very best. This dish is not low on calories, so you won’t want to make this every day…but on a special occasion, it is one of the tastiest dishes you’ll ever experience.
And now the time has come to go and make this amazing Southern Shrimp and Cheesy Grits recipe!
You will NOT be disappointed, that we can guarantee!
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- 1 cup corn grits (quick or regular...not instant)
- 3 tablespoons of heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 slices slab bacon, cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces
- 1 lb shelled and deveined large shrimp
- Black pepper
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves, minced (should be a heaping teaspoon)
- 3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, chopped (3 for cooking, 1 for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 or 3 good shakes of hot sauce (ie, Tabasco)
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (usually the juice of 1 whole lemon)
- In a medium saucepan, bring the stock to a boil.
- Whisk in the grits and cook over moderately high heat, stirring vigorously at first to eliminate lumps (Continue to stir periodically until thickened and the grains are tender- about 4 - 5 minutes total. If using regular grits, they will take up to 45 minutes)
- Add the cream, butter and cheese and gently stir. Cover and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crispy.
- Transfer cooked bacon to paper towel-lined plate.
- Pour out all but about 4 tablespoons of bacon fat in the skillet and re-heat.
- Add the shrimp and cook until curled and pink, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, parsley, scallions, paprika, Worcestershire, Tabasco and lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, crumble the bacon into slightly smaller pieces, set aside.
- Spoon the warm, cheesy grits into 4 shallow serving bowls and top each with a quarter of the shrimp mixture.
- Garnish with bacon and reserved scallions.
- Serve at once!